Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The State of the Union...

     Every year our President stands before the Congress and on national broadcasts gives his State of the Union Address. Were I President of the United States of America, this would be my address to our nation:

     "Senators, House of Representatives, distiguished guests and fellow Americans, I have recently been reading through the word of God in the book of Jeremiah. I would like to share with you what the Lord has put on my heart concerning our nation.

Jeremiah 18:7-10
7  At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;
8  If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
9  And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
10  If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

            I’ve been meditating on these verses for a few days now. As I think about them I can’t help but think about our own nation. Why is our economy suffering so greatly? Why is our nation falling apart all around us? Could it be that these verses which were spoken by God to the nation of Israel are being applied to the United States of America?

            In 1776, God did build and plant our nation. For 235 years we have been one of the greatest nations, if not the greatest nation this world has ever seen. We have been blessed by God! Why? When we started out, our nation was founded on Biblical principles that honored the one true God. Somewhere along the line, our nation has turned its back on Him. We have done evil in His sight and have not obeyed His voice.

            As a result, our nation is no longer the world power it once was. Our economy is failing. The moral fabric of our nation has deteriorated before our eyes. Our nation no longer enjoys the blessings of God. Instead, His judgment is upon us and rightly so. What is the only hope for the United States of America? As a nation we must turn from our wicked ways…

2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

            Will this ever happen in our nation? If it does not, then expect nothing other than the wrath of God upon us. Why shouldn’t we? Are we favored more than God’s chosen nation of Israel?  If He withheld not His correction from them, why would we think He will not correct us too?

            Instead of joining those who say, “God bless America,” I have to say as Habakkuk said, “In wrath remember mercy.”

Habakkuk 3:2
O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.

May God have mercy on the United States of America! Consider the words of Jeremiah the “weeping” prophet.

Lamentations 5:19-21
19   Thou, O LORD, remainest for ever; thy throne from generation to generation.
20   Wherefore dost thou forget us for ever, and forsake us so long time?
21   Turn thou us unto thee, O LORD, and we shall be turned; renew our days as of old.

            Unless the Lord turns our nation back to Himself we will repeat the words of Jeremiah in verse 22.

22   But thou hast utterly rejected us; thou art very wroth against us.

            If we truly desire to see the blessings of God upon our nation again, we must repent and turn back to Him.
Psalm 33:12
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Proverbs 14:34
Righteousness exalteth a nation; but sin is a reproach to any people.


WARNING:
Isaiah 60:12
For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.

      As a nation we must return to serving the one true God...the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The state of our beloved nation is in danger. We must repent. We must turn again and follow Jehovah God.

     Thank you and may God's Word not return unto Him void...may it accomplish that which He pleases and prosper in the thing whereto He sent it."



No comments:

Post a Comment