Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Seest thou a man diligent in his business?

        One thing that was instilled in me by my father was to be diligent in everything I did.  I'm sure while I was growing up, he often wondered if I ever paid attention. Well, Dad, I did. The book of Proverbs has much to say concerning the contrast between being diligent and being slothful or lazy. Diligence is defined by Noah Webster as: Steady application in business of any kind; constant effort to accomplish what is undertaken; exertion of body or mind without unnecessary delay or sloth; due attention; industry; assiduity.

        Hmmm...steady application, constant effort, exertion without unnecessary delay. So that's what diligence is?!
          It is interesting that Proverbs 22:28 says, "Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set."  Being diligent is a landmark and one that was set by our forefathers. Solomon, King of Israel, encouraged his children to be diligent. My father encouraged me to be diligent. He taught me to work hard, finish the task at hand and play only when all the work was done. I remember in High School and College, most of my peers would be outside playing around while I was inside studying. Later, they would be stressed out, cramming at the last minute to complete an assignment or study for a test, while I was outside playing around, having already finished. 
        Just as my father taught me to be diligent, I strive to teach my children the same thing. My dad didn't just speak of diligence, he lived it out in his life and still does. He is one of the most diligent men I know. Diligence is one of many landmarks that mark the boundary of Christianity. Many a believer has crossed the boundary over into the field of the slothful. May I never remove that landmark. May I be faithful to teach my children to be diligent as my father taught me.         I came across an article and thought it was interesting. The CEO of 3M is no doubt a man of diligence. He has to be. No one could rise to the top of a major global corporation like 3M without being diligent. As I read the article I was reminded of Proverbs 22:29. 

"Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before
 kings; he shall not stand before mean men."
 Proverbs 22:29 
                                  ---------------------------------------------------
3M CEO George Buckley Receives Knighthood
Buckley honored for services to industry






George Buckley, chairman of the board, president and CEO, was named a Knight Bachelor in the Queen’s Birthday Honors List. The announcement was made in a press release issued by the British Consulate-General, Chicago. In response, British Consul General Robert Chatterton Dickson said, “As chairman of the board, president and CEO of 3M, Dr. Buckley, now Sir George, has been a leader in the American and Midwestern business community for decades. Throughout his career he has maintained close ties to the UK and a commitment to educating future generations, as exemplified by his involvement with the University of Huddersfield. Sir George represents excellence in business and learning. I congratulate him on receiving the high honor of a knighthood.” Upon learning of the honor, Sir George said, “I am so humbled to hear that I would be honored in this way and never imagined such a thing could ever happen to me. I am immensely grateful to all the wonderful teachers, colleagues and friends who helped me so much in my life and made it what it ultimately became.” 
                                    ------------------------------------------------------
      


         I may never stand before the Queen of England and receive Knighthood. I may never stand before the President of the United States and receive a Congressional Medal of Honor. One day, however, I will stand before the Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Glory and when I do, I long to hear the words, "Well done thou good and faithful servant."


"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."
Proverbs 4:23

1 comment: