Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The End of Fear

"For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me." (Job 3:25)


Over the years, I have thought much about this verse. I have thought much about fear. In this verse we have a man who highly reverenced God and kept himself from evil...a righteous man and yet he had fear. What is fear? 


The Word of God gives us two meanings to the word "fear." The first definition is reverence; respect; due regard. We see that meaning in verses like Job 1:1 where it says that Job was "perfect and upright" and was a man that "feared God, and eschewed evil." Job highly reverenced God. There are many other verses, especially in Proverbs that speak of the same type of fear. 


Proverbs 1:7  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..."


Proverbs 9:10  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."


Proverbs 10:27  "The fear of the Lord prolongeth days..."


Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence..."


Proverbs 14:27  "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life..."


Many more verses could be added showing this type of fear. There is another definition of fear found in the Word of God. The other definition means a painful emotion caused by the expectation of evil or impending danger. This type of fear is accompanied by a strong desire to avoid or ward off the expected evil. It also brings about an uneasiness of mind. 


I believe this is the type of fear that Job was referring to in Job 3:25. The thing that he greatly feared came upon him. What was it that he feared? Some say the thing he feared was God's judgment upon his children for some sin they committed.  I can see why some would say that especially after reading Job 1:5.


"And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts, Thus did Job continually."


Another thought as to what Job feared is when he first heard from a servant that he has lost his oxen (Job 1:14-15), he was afraid the same thing would happen to another part of his substance. When he lost his sheep (Job 1:16), he was afraid he would lose more. In verse 17 when he lost his camels, he was afraid he would lose something even more dear...his children, which he did in verses 18-19.  I can see how that could be what Job meant when he said the thing that he greatly feared had come upon him. 


I remember when Sarah's second pregnancy ended in a miscarriage how uneasy we were the next time she became pregnant. I was afraid the same thing could happen again. 


Whatever it was that Job feared, it had come upon him. What is it that you fear? What in this life causes an uneasiness of mind as you think about it happening to you? Is it the loss of a parent? Is it the loss of a child? Is it the loss of a spouse? Maybe the loss of a job? 


Even though Job was a man who highly reverenced God, he still had fear. I too have fears. Just because I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and am a child of God does not mean that I have escaped fear. 


Why do I fear? Why do you fear? I believe I fear because my faith in God has not grown as strong as I think it has.  Why do I say that?


Matthew 8:23-27
23   And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
24   And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
25   And his disciples came to him and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
26   And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. 
27   But the men marvelled, saying, what manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!


These men who followed Jesus Christ, who believed that He was indeed the Son of God, found themselves in a dyer straight. They were fishermen. They had been on that sea before. They had been in storms at sea before, but this time they feared for their lives. Why did they fear? They feared because even though they had faith, it was little faith. 


In Matthew 14:22-33 we see the very same disciples in another ship out on the sea. Once again they found themselves in another storm...once again they feared.  Somewhere between 3AM and 6AM, Christ came walking to them on the water. It says they cried out for fear.  Christ said to them, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid."  To make sure it really was Jesus, Peter asked Him if he could walk to Him on the water. Christ told him to come.  Peter  stepped out of the ship and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. Notice what happened next. Though he had faith in Christ and though he was actually walking on water...something that is simply not possible for a human, he began to look around at the storm and the waves and he was afraid. He began to sink. 


Is it not the same with us? Sure it is. I am just like Peter and every other believer...I am human and prone to take my eyes off Christ and focus on whatever situation I find myself in that is causing my fear. If I would only walk by faith I would walk on the water, so to speak. Instead, I sometimes walk by sight and become fearful. 


Remember that fear is an uneasiness of mind, brought about by the thought of some evil that is likely to happen. When I fear, I experience an uneasiness of mind. I worry. I fret. My mind is anything but peaceful. 


Consider the words of Isaiah...


Isaiah 26:3-4
3   Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4   Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.


Fear brings about an uneasiness of mind, but faith and trust in the Lord brings a peace of mind. 


Proverbs 29:25  The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.


Consider David... How was he able to face Goliath, a man among men who was 9 1/2 feet tall and have such a bold confidence? Because his confidence and his trust was in the Lord his God.  David was a man just like we are. Though he faced Goliath and God gave him the victory, there were still times in David's life when he feared. 


Psalm 56:2-4
2   Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
3   What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. 
4   In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.


If I could only learn to keep my eyes on the Lord in the midst of my circumstances and trust in Him, I would have no fear. Yes, there will be times in this life when we will experience fear. There is probably no end to the things in this life that could bring fear, but there is an end to fear. It comes when we realize that God is sovereign over whatever situation we find ourselves in and we put our trust in Him and rest in Him. 


Isaiah 12:2   Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he is become my salvation. 


Psalm 62:8    Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

1 comment:

  1. Good words, Joseph. That was probably the best message I've ever heard you teach!! I SO want to rest and trust in my great and sovereign God who does all things well.

    ReplyDelete