Wednesday, July 6, 2011

There are many devices...


The word of God tell us in Proverbs 19:21 "There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand." The word "devices" is translated from the Hebrew word "machashabah" which means thoughts, plans or purposes. We have many plans in our hearts, but regardless of our plans it is the counsel or purpose of God that will take place. 


For years I have had plans to care for my parents and Sarah's parents when they got older and required help. I have long dreamed of someday owning property and having three houses built on it...one for our family, one for my parents and one for Sarah's parents. I looked forward to the day when I could take care of them and provide for them as they did for us when we were young. I think it is just one of many ways in which we honor our fathers and our mothers. Believe me, I spent a lot of time in my mind designing the perfect houses...close to ours so we could care for them, yet providing a sense of independence. That was my plan, my dream, my goal. 


Nevertheless, the counsel of the Lord stood. July the 5th marked the one year anniversary of the last day I saw my dear mother-in-love, Vivian.  The Lord had numbered her days and at the appointed time, He called her home to be with Him. On July 9, 2010 she went to be with the Lord. No man on earth had a mother-in-law like I did...except Dean (we shared the same one...our wives are sisters).  I will never forget the first day I met her, nor the last day I saw her...nor the times in between when we were blessed to spend time together. I dare say no woman loved her daughter's husband like she did. She prayed for me. She encouraged me. She loved me...and I seriously don't remember a time that when she went anywhere that she didn't come back with a little something she had picked up for me. 


I must  admit I have felt somewhat let down. My plans will not come to pass in the way I had dreamed they would. Just as it says in Daniel 4:35, "None can stay his hand or say unto him, what doest thou?" I couldn't stop the Lord from carrying out His purpose, nor could I question it...nor did I want to. God is sovereign and perfect in all His ways. 



In three days, Vivian will have spent an entire year with the Lord Jesus Christ. What has she seen? How much more of the Lord Jesus Christ does she now know? What is it like to spend an entire year without sin? What is it like to be able to perfectly worship the One who created you, saved you, and preserved you? These are the questions this enquiring mind wants to know. 

Now my plans have been changed. Lord willing, if it would please Him, I plan to continue in the pursuit of my dream of taking care of my parents and Sarah's dad...and his new wife. Yes, whosoever findeth a wife findeth a good thing and obtaineth the favor of the Lord.



 In the future my plans may be changed again. Only He knows what will happen. Should it please Him to allow our parents to reach old age and need care, I plan on being ready to provide just that. Should He call our parents home before they get old, His will be done. Should it please the Lord to return before then...even so, come, Lord Jesus

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart in this, my dear husband. Hope you don't mind if I link to it on my blog. I love you with all my little girl heart. What a year it's been. I'm so thankful I've had you to help me through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody, what an incredible post. I know that y'all both miss Vivi so much, but also know she is with her Lord. What better comfort is there? Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete